Confirmation of heavy prison sentences against two arrested journalists

first_img to go further Receive email alerts June 5, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Confirmation of heavy prison sentences against two arrested journalists CubaAmericas Organisation New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council October 12, 2018 Find out more May 6, 2020 Find out more RSF_en News News Help by sharing this information center_img Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet Follow the news on Cuba Reporters Without Borders deplored the Cuban supreme court’s confirmation of sentences imposed on two of the 26 independent journalists arrested at the end of March and since jailed for lengthy terms. The court upheld on 3 June a sentence of 26 years on Miguel Galván Gutiérrez (photo) and 16 years on José Ubaldo Izquierdo Hernández.”We greatly regret that the Cuban government refuses to listen to international protests calling for the release of the 26 journalists and the 50 other dissidents arrested at the same time”, said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.”We fear now that the sentences against the other imprisoned journalists will be confirmed too. The government is going down an increasingly repressive blind alley as shown by the heavy sentences, of up to 28 years in prison for simple offences of opinion.”Ménard also denounced new restrictions on the jailed journalists’ families, most of whom are only being allowed to visit them once every three months instead of every three weeks as the rules state. This is in addition to their transfer to prisons hundreds of kilometres from their homes, making visits difficult and expensive. The Internet website cubanet.org reported on 21 May that the wife of journalist Pedro Argüelles Morán was only told after she arrived to see him at the prison in Santa Clara (west-central Cuba) that he had been sent to another, in Combinado del Este (Havana), another 270 kms away from his home in Morón. The Russian news agency Prima News reported on 3 June that journalist Adolfo Fernández Sainz and several other jailed dissidents had begun a hunger-strike to demand their right to see their families more often. The conditions of detention of several of the journalists are very bad and at least five are reportedly ill. Reporters Without Borders said it was especially worried about Oscar Espinosa Chepe (photo), who has serious liver problems and internal bleeding, and called for his transfer to hospital in Havana. On 31 May, after strong international protests, he was taken from the prison in Guantanamo to a hospital in Santiago.His wife Miriam Leiva said this was a “farce” because health care at the hospital was no better than at the prison, where officials had not even given him the medicine she had brought for him. She called for his transfer to a Havana hospital. The appeal against his 20-year sentence was heard on 4 June and judgment was reserved.Last month, a dozen independent journalists who decided to continue their activities despite the crackdown were threatened with heavy prison sentences by security officials if they persisted. Reporters Without Borders deplored the Cuban supreme court’s confirmation of sentences imposed on two of the 26 independent journalists arrested at the end of March and since jailed for lengthy terms. News October 15, 2020 Find out more See full details of the imprisoned Cuban journalists in our section “Cuba: the world’s biggest prison for journalists CubaAmericas RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago Newslast_img read more

Tackling Home Affordability Through Innovation

first_imgHome / Daily Dose / Tackling Home Affordability Through Innovation Five Star Conference HOUSING Housing Affordability mortgage SG Blocks 2018-10-10 Rachel Williams The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Subscribe October 10, 2018 945 Views Share Save Previous: The Industry Pulse: Updates on Fannie Mae, Equifax, and More . . . Next: The Mortgage Industry Braces for Hurricane Michael Rachel Williams attended Texas Christian University (TCU), where she graduated with Magna Cum Laude with a dual Bachelor of Arts in English and History. Williams is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, widely recognized as the nation’s most prestigious honor society. Subsequent to graduating from TCU, Williams joined the Five Star Institute as an editorial intern, advancing to staff writer, associate editor and is currently the editor in chief and head of corporate communications. She has over a decade of editorial experience with a primary focus on the U.S. residential mortgage industry and financial markets. Williams resides in Dallas, Texas with her husband. She can be reached at [email protected] Tagged with: Five Star Conference HOUSING Housing Affordability mortgage SG Blocks The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Tackling Home Affordability Through Innovation About Author: Rachel Williamscenter_img Related Articles Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago DS News reporter David Wharton recently caught up with Paul Galvin, Chairman and CEO of SG Blocks, an innovative company that turns shipping containers into new environments–including homes. Wharton and Galvin discussed some of the pressing issues facing today’s housing market including the affordability crisis. Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago in Daily Dose, Featured, News Sign up for DS News Daily  Print This Postlast_img read more

Odds & Ends: Lindsay Lohan’s Good Intentions & More

first_img Lindsay Lohan’s Good Intentions Lindsay Lohan, who will soon make her stage debut in David Mamet’s Speed-The-Plow, has said that missing shows is “not on the cards. It’s not.” The notoriously talented but tardy star told the BBC: “I’m at a place in my life where I like the commitment. I’m looking forward to that part of it.” Music to ticket buyers’—and producers’—ears. Betty Buckley’s Theatrical Superstition Did you know that when a theater is unoccupied, a lone light bulb is left on at night to keep the ghosts company? The light is called a ghost light. Well Broadway legend Betty Buckley did (of course) and has named her new album Ghostlight. We can’t wait to hear the record, which will be released on September 16. Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today. View Comments Ready for a Night at the Opera With Patti LuPone? Speaking of Broadway divas and ghosts…we now know who will be joining Patti LuPone as Samira and Patricia Racette as Marie Antoinette in the previously announced L.A. Opera’s The Ghost of Versailles. Directed by A Gentleman’s Guide’s Darko Tresnjak, the production will also star Christopher Maltman as Beaumarchais, Lucas Meacheum as Figaro, Lucy Schaufer as Susana and Richard Croft as Count Almaviva. The show will play a limited engagement from February 7, 2015 through March 1. Star Files Patti LuPonelast_img read more