Watching the Mets Lose Two in Kansas City Is Hard to Take

first_imgView image | gettyimages.comThe way I see it, the Mets owe us big time for spending so many hours watching them lose two games in a row in Kansas City to a superior team. How they repay us is obvious. They have to host a victory parade down Broadway in Manhattan, and make sure we all have the day off so we can sleep in late.The opener on Tuesday was grueling enough—the longest World Series game in history measured by innings. By the time the final out was recorded in the 14th, five hours and nine minutes after it started, I was numb, both spiritually and physically. My eyes could barely see. My mind was shot.As they taught us by their debacle the following night, the first matchup was one the Mets had to win. All that effort gone to waste. I mean, on our part, as demoralized fans too masochistic to turn the damn thing off until some distant voice of reason, probably female, penetrated our consciousness with these words: “Go to bed!”After all, hadn’t we done our time already this season? Didn’t we stick with the Metropolitans back in July, when the needs of our families and our communities—hell, our republic, for that matter—went begging for 18 innings? It was July 19th, and the Mets only took a 1-0 lead over the St. Louis Cardinals in the top of the 13th inning, only to blow it in the bottom of the same inning when Jeurys Familia gave up a leadoff homer. No, I don’t want to remember it well—they did go on to prevail 3-1—but it came back to haunt me when Game 1 entered the midnight hour after he’d blown it in the ninth inning. I turned to my viewing companion, my son who had to get up even earlier the next morning than I so he could catch a train to the city, and asked him rhetorically, “How much longer should we watch this?”Well, the answer was obvious. To the bitter end. After all, past was prologue. We both stuck with the team in July, when the World Series seemed like a pipe dream, why would we be sensible now? Back then, Ruben Tejada—bless his soul, and curse Chase Utley’s—hit a sacrifice fly that allowed Wilmer Flores to score the go-ahead run. We got an insurance run on a squeeze bunt by Eric Campbell. Ah, those were the days, weren’t they? And let us recall that it was a day game, too.Tuesday night seemed to last forever. My son said he had a dream (perhaps a nightmare) later that it ended at 5 a.m. Let the record show it was over way before then. Apparently, we were not alone. The game was the most-watched World Series opener since 15 million viewers tuned into the 2010 matchup.This game, let’s face it, did have a little bit of everything. There was the first inside-the-park homer since the World Series of 1929 (and the anniversary of the Stock Market crash was this week, too, come to think of it)—and it came off the very first pitch that our Dark Knight, Matt Harvey, threw. That in itself is a rarity.And, laughing at their expense because it is Fox after all, there was a “rare electronics failure” that blew the game off the air—and onto our radios—in the fourth inning. Just like that, we all had to hunt for our AM dials, but just before we could settle in, the network figured out how to stream the international feed for domestic consumption. I just felt sorry for the hapless chaps back in the studio who had to make small talk while the engineers figured out how to override the meltdown. We haven’t seen anything like this since the Oakland A’s-San Francisco Giants World Series—dubbed the Battle of the Bay—was disrupted by a severe earthquake that struck in 1989 just as Game 3 was getting underway and knocked ABC off the air. By the way, the Giants were down two games to none. The bad news is that the Athletics went on to sweep them four-zip.Tuesday’s snafu also illustrates just how dependent America’s pastime has become on modern technology. The four-minute on-field delay was reportedly due to the replay capability being lost in both team’s clubhouses. We wouldn’t want to lose that, would we? Why, without replay capability, how could the game go on? Now, since it was Fox, nobody dared to blame the liberal media for screwing up, but the thought had to be in the noosphere. But they found the right switch and the game went on at Kauffman Stadium. For the record, the 2013 Super Bowl was delayed when the power went out in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. That’s a more old-fashioned problem, but it certainly couldn’t have helped the automaker’s brand since play stopped for 34 minutes.Once Fox resumed its World Series coverage, it was amusing when Joe Buck—he of the five o’clock stubble—told the viewing audience that they had enough quarters to keep Game 1 on the air for the rest of the evening as he traded microphones with Matt Vasgersian and John Smoltz, who were handling the game for MLB International. Little did Buck know that the night was still young.Going into Wednesday night’s game from the Mets’ point of view, they probably figured that all their East Coast fans could use some shut-eye but they took it one step further, and seemed to nod off at the plate, getting only two hits off the Royals’ mighty-dreadlocked righthander Johnny Cueto, who pitched the whole damn game, while our long-haired phenom Jacob DeGrom hardly struck anybody out and got rocked instead. Our reputed ace gave up four runs in the fifth inning, and then it was lights out for him. For good measure other Mets pitchers came in in relief and allowed three more before the game was mercifully over, 7-1 the final score.Sleep, perchance to dream, never sounded so good Wednesday night. For the superstitious, the Mets lost by one run in the first game of the 1986 World Series and by six runs in the second game—and that was at Shea Stadium, where we teach future generations the Mets beat the Red Sox in Game 6, and, just as important, in Game 7.Whether history can repeat itself this time against Kansas is a question that remains to be seen. Too many Mets fans woke up Thursday morning thinking the world had ended, let alone the Series. But let us remember they’ve only played each other twice, and they have at least two more games to go.So, the message to us all: stay tuned. And hope the blessings flow. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York last_img read more

Great Atmosphere and large Audience on the Red Bull Cliff Diving in Mostar

first_imgOn the Old Bridge in Mostar, the 2017 Red Bull Cliff Diving World Championship started. Even though it was a working day, the audience was large.The first series started at 2:15pm, but before that, there was warming up. Rhiannan Iffland from Australia won’t remember the warmups fondly since she injured her knee.Iffland currently leads the women’s category, but won’t be able to win any more points in Mostar and most likely won’t be able to be first since this is the second to last competition as part of the championship in this season.Today, two jumps for the men’s and women’s categories will take place, while the third and final ones will take place tomorrow.We published earlier that the tickets for the special train ride to Mostar for the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Championship for Saturday, September 16th was sold out and that the organizers, in cooperation with the Railways of FBiH, introduced another train ride.This information, together with today’s visit and atmosphere, show that tomorrow will be another spectacle in Mostar.Mostar is, for three years running, a part of the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Championship.After five competition in this season, the leader in the men’s category is Blake Aldridge from Great Britain with 480 points and behind him are Gary Hunt from Great Britain with 460 points and Jonathan Paredes from Mexico with 450 points.After Ifflad with 690 points, Adriana Jimenez from Mexico with 520 points and Helen Marten from Australia with 450 points follow.(Source: read more

Lakers players symptom-free after two-week COVID-19 quarantine

first_imgThe Lakers announced Tuesday that their players are symptom-free two weeks after two of them tested positive for the novel coronavirus.On March 19, the NBA franchise said two unnamed players had contracted COVID-19 amid the global pandemic. After a 14-day home isolation prescribed by team physicians, no players are showing symptoms. CORONAVIRUS: Sports figures who have tested positive for COVID-19The Lakers players today completed the 14-day home isolation that was prescribed by team physicians, and the players are all currently symptom-free of COVID-19.The health and safety guidelines set by government officials will continue to be followed by the Lakers.— Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) March 31, 2020The coronavirus continues to disrupt sports — including the NBA, which is on hiatus — across the globe as countries try to contain COVID-19.Deaths have exceeded 42,000 globally, with more than 856,800 confirmed cases.last_img read more

Inside Conditions…Ladder of excellence, a chat with Dusty Baker

first_imgDUSTY BAKER (Courier Photo/J.L. Martello) May 31 marked the beginning of the festivities celebrating another African-American heritage celebration at PNC Park. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many African-American “families” together not only just out to take in a ballgame but to enjoy themselves as a unit.Also, it doesn’t hurt to have the legendary Pittsburgh show band “House of Soul” live on the main stage at the Pirates ‘Friday Night Block Party’ with saxophonist Calvin Stemley and the “horney horns” along with the rest of the band including one of Pittsburgh’s finest R&B vocalists Wayne Barber not only carrying a tune but running with it; even the Cincinnati Reds faithful joined along with the Pirates fans participating in the very lively pregame show. It was fitting that the band mirrored the headliner “Kool and the Gang” who were scheduled to appear in a post game concert after Saturday’s game.Well, boys and girls, Saturday did not go as well for yours truly because I missed my 3 p.m. 56C Lincoln Place-McKeesport chariot (actually the bus was five minutes early) and I was compelled to call an urban based cab, (jitney) to transport me to Downtown. My “limo” driver turned out to be none other than the infamous Jimmy Giles who used to run a pool hall over on Frankstown Avenue in Homewood.I zipped into the press cafeteria to grab a bite to eat before I exited to go to the field to chat with Cincinnati Reds Manager Dusty Baker.By the way, Mr. Baker is one of the most gracious and conscientious players and/managers that I have ever had the pleasure of sitting down with; the other two were former St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa and number one of course was and still is the late Pirates skipper Charles “Chuck” Tanner who will always remain at the top of my “interview” food chain.last_img read more