Should the Reds Keep Choo?

first_imgShin-Soo Choo has certainly been worth the price the Reds paid to get him.  Now comes the task of deciding if he should stay.  When they traded for him, their plan was to borrow him for one year to win a World Series and then let him go to free agency.  However, he did so well as a Red that now you begin to wonder if you can afford to give him the big contract and keep him as your lead-off hitter.  Economically, the answer is “no”.  He will want a long-term contract at a high price level and this will reduce your ability to retain younger players.  You have invested a lot of money in Billy Hamilton, and he is definitely the outfielder of the future.  The question is–“is Hamilton ready to play regular next year?”  Hamilton is only 23 years old and could be a long-time fixture in Cincinnati if he can hit.  There is no doubt he can do everything else very well, but nothing happens until you get on base.  Choo, on the other hand, is a proven commodity; but Cincinnati is not a Korean strong hold of population.  Choo is reportedly hoping to go to Chicago or New York where his ethnic background might be better suited.  We all know that his agent wants that size city so he can jack up his asking price.last_img read more

Did You Know?

first_imgA recent Indianapolis Star article listed past runner-ups to Mr. Basketball in Indiana.  In 1997 Batesville’s Michael Menser was the runner-up to Luke Recker of DeKalb hHgh School.  Recker went on to play at 3 different universities including Iowa.  Michael Menser starred at Indiana State.  Menser led the Sycamores to 2 NCAA appearances.Michael coached and taught in the Terre Haute area for several years, and he is now an administrator in the Plainfield School system.  He works alongside Melvin Siefert who is the principal at Plainfield.Not listed in this article, but another Batesville High School graduate who was also an Indiana High School All-Star runner-up, was Cindy Lamping in 1991.  Cindy went on to star at Purdue University and helped lead the Boilermakers to an NCAA runner-up title in basketball.last_img read more

Joshua, Pulev Set Deadline for Title Tight Talks

first_imgAnthony Joshua and Kubrat Pulev have set a deadline for negotiations over a world heavyweight title fight, the IBF have confirmed.Britain’s unified world champion has been awaiting confirmation of his next fight after being ordered to make world title defences against Pulev and Oleksandr Usyk, his IBF and WBO mandatory challengers.But Pulev appears to be next in line for Joshua as the IBF have revealed that both fighters requested more time to agree a deal.A spokesperson for the IBF told Sky Sports: “I have just been told that the Pulev and Joshua camps have asked until January 31 to negotiate.”Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed earlier in the week that ‘everything is in play’ for Joshua, with Usyk being offered an alternative fight against Derek Chisora in London.“Conversations are ongoing with all parties to plan what’s next and it will really come to a head over the next few weeks,” Hearn told Sky Sports.“We are still awaiting clarification from the governing bodies to confirm who is chronologically next but right now everything is in play.“In terms of Usyk versus Chisora that is still a potential outcome, but March 7 is unlikely. Instead we have March 28 on hold at the O2.” Anthony Joshua Pulev, who has only been beaten by Wladimir Klitschko, was due to challenge Joshua in October 2017, only to be ruled out through injury, but regained his status as mandatory challenger following a points win over Hughie Fury.Joseph Parker has been elevated to No 2 in the WBO rankings and could target a fight with Usyk for the vacant WBO title, if Joshua was forced to relinquish the belt.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

5 things to know about new travel booking platform

first_imgThe man behind Apple News wants to shake up the travel industry and give travellers a cut of commissions from online hotel bookings.Jochem Wijnands launched TRVL this year. Here are five things you should know about using the online platform.What is TRVL?TRVL is a website that allows travellers to sign up as so-called TRVL agents and search for hotels for their trips or recommend places to stay to others. The agents receive a commission — up to 10 per cent — any time someone books travel through a link they provide.Who can use it?Anyone over 18 can sign up for the service, so long as they abide by the site’s rules.Anyone can message a TRVL agent on the website, without having to sign up, and book a recommended hotel through a link they provide. However, the site is currently blocked in Ontario.Where does the commission money come from?Online booking websites, like Booking.com and Hotels.com, have a built-in portion of the price that typically goes to a travel agent, said Wijnands.Travellers who book online themselves pay that fee but don’t receive the service, he said.TRVL lets its agents recoup that cost by cutting them in on the commission hotels pay to websites that send customers their way.How much does it pay?TRVL agents receive up to 10 per cent of the cost of the hotel booking in payment 30 to 60 days after the trip takes place. So, travellers can recoup up to $20 on a $200 hotel, for instance. However, money earned for each booking depends on the price of the hotel and the percentage of commission TRVL offers.Does it cost anything to book?The service is free to use. TRVL makes its profit by taking a cut of the commission its booking service providers pay.last_img read more

Fort St John Film Society needs help selecting fall tiff film lineup

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Film Society has announced they are wanting help in selecting the fall film lineup from the Toronto Independent Film Festival (tiff) films for the next season.The tiff fall film schedule has been released and the Society needs to choose films for fall time slots. The Society is asking for your top five film selections to be sent to them through facebook message or email; [email protected] suggestions are to be submitted by Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 as the Society shares the sooner the selections are submitted the better the chance at getting the films wanted. Films in the ‘coming soon’ category may not be able to be brought in.To view the selection of Films, CLICK HERE To view the FSJ Film Societies FB Page; CLICK HERElast_img read more

Solskjaer appointed as permanent Man Utd manager

first_imgLondon: Manchester United appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the club’s permanent manager on a three-year contract on Thursday following a highly successful caretaker spell in charge. The Norwegian, 46, has inspired a dramatic revival of United’s fortunes since taking over from the sacked Jose Mourinho in December, winning 14 of his 19 games and leading the Red Devils to the quarter-finals of the Champions League. Solskjaer, who scored 126 goals in 366 appearances for United, was already a hero to fans as the man who scored the stoppage-time winner in the 1999 Champions League final to complete the treble. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh “From the first day I arrived, I felt at home at this special club,” Solskjaer said in a statement on the club’s website. “It was an honour to be a Manchester United player, and then to start my coaching career here. “The last few months have been a fantastic experience and I want to thank all of the coaches, players and staff for the work we’ve done so far. “This is the job that I always dreamed of doing and I’m beyond excited to have the chance to lead the club long-term and hopefully deliver the continued success that our amazing fans deserve.” Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said: “More than just performances and results, Ole brings a wealth of experience, both as a player and as a coach, coupled with a desire to give young players their chance and a deep understanding of the culture of the club.” After Mourinho was sacked following a 3-1 loss to Liverpool on December 16, Solskjaer initially arrived from Norwegian club Molde “on loan” until the end of the season. Solskjaer, who spent 11 seasons at Old Trafford as a player, took over with the club in sixth place in the Premier League, 11 points off the top four. But they have lost just once in the league since then and are now in fifth place, just two points behind fourth-placed Arsenal, with eight games remaining in the season. The highlight of his reign so far was a dramatic 3-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the last 16 in the Champions League, with United overturning a 2-0 first-leg defeat to reach the quarter-finals on away goals. Solskjaer’s former United teammate Peter Schmeichel tweeted: “Congratulations my friend, it is well deserved. Up and onwards let’s chase some trophies.” Former United defender Gary Neville welcomed the appointment and urged the club to back the new full-time boss financially. “I’m delighted for Ole,” Neville tweeted. “I didn’t think this would happen when he was appointed. However the results and spirit in the club have been incredible since he arrived and he deserves it. He now needs support in the transfer market in terms of finance and the right resource!” Another former United teammate of Solskjaer’s, Rio Ferdinand, tweeted: “Yessss Ole is officially at The Wheel… Signed, Sealed, Delivered! Manager of @ManUtd! I hope my Thank You is in post Ole.”last_img read more

Govt signs ceasefire agreement with 3 Naga insurgent groups

first_imgNew Delhi: The Centre on Monday extended the ceasefire agreement by one year with two insurgent groups in Nagaland, while a fresh pact for suspension of operations was signed with another outfit, the Home Ministry said. A ceasefire is in operation between the Union government and the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Neopao Konyak/Kitovi) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland/Reformation (NSCN/R). It was decided to extend the suspension of operation agreement with NSCN/NK and NSCN/R for a further period of one year with effect from April 28 this year till April 27, 2020, a Home Ministry statement said. This was signed on behalf of the central government by Satyendra Garg, Joint Secretary, in the Home Ministry, and Jack Jimomi, Supervisor, GPRN/NSCN, on behalf of NSCN/NK and by Amento Chishi, Supervisor, and Toshi Longkumer, Secretary, on behalf of NSCN/R. Meanwhile, the National Socialist Council of Nagaland/K-Khango has also entered into a fresh ceasefire agreement with the Union government from Monday for a period of one year, the statement said. The new ceasefire agreement and revised ceasefire ground rules were signed by Garg and Newell Naga, Supervisor and Michael Yeptho, member, on behalf of NSCN/K-Khango.last_img read more

Norwegian Yara fined in corruption scandal

first_imgOSLO – Norway’s Yara, the world’s biggest mineral fertiliser producer, said Wednesday it had been hit with a hefty fine by Norwegian authorities following an international corruption investigation.The firm said it would not contest the 295-million-kroner (35.4-million-euro, $48.3-million) fine.“The company acknowledges guilt and accepts a corporate fine,” Yara said in a statement. When it emerged that suspect payments had been made to a Libyan oil minister in the Kadhafi regime — according to police — just ahead of creating a joint venture in the country, Yara opened an external investigation of its international operations in 2011.The investigation revealed other “unacceptable payments” in Switzerland and India, and led Norwegian police to press charges against the company for “aggravated corruption.”“The affair is about bribes to senior government officials in Libya and India, and to a supplier in Russia (via a Swiss subsidiary),” the Norwegian National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime confirmed Wednesday.“In total, the bribes amount to around $12 million between 2004 and 2009”.  The police criticised the management of the company, accusing it of failing to report the corruption allegations until 2011, despite having heard about them in 2008.last_img read more

Wenger was like a father to Wilshere

first_imgArsene Wenger decided to end his career as the Arsenal coach and he will leave after this season – and Jack Wilshere admitted that the manager was something like a father to him.The Frenchman was the first one to give a chance to the midfielder in the professional football and, of course, the player is grateful to him for it – and he insisted that it will feel strange not to have Wenger in the locker room anymore.The England international spoke about his relationship with Wenger as he wrote on his Instagram account, according to Football London:“To the man who gave me my chance as a 16-year-old, and showed unbelievable faith and commitment towards me.”Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Always a gentleman, like a father through tough times in my career.”“He always believed in me when most people didn’t.”“Thank you for everything boss.”“It’s down to us now to end your era right. #onearsenewenger.”last_img read more

Griezmann feels closer than ever to win the Ballon dOr

first_imgDuring an interview with French journal L’Equipe, Antoine Griezmann explains why he believes that the 2018 Ballon d’Or is closer than ever for him.It’s been a truly spectacular 2018 for French forward Antoine Griezmann, he’s managed to win all the finals he’s played with both his club and his country and he looks like the top contender for this year’s Ballon d’Or. It is a little confusing that both UEFA and FIFA didn’t include him in any of the podiums for their individual awards, there is no question that Griezmann is one of the best players of the season in all competitions and he certainly is one of the most successful footballers on the collective aspect. The only exception we remember from a Ballon d’Or winner who failed to win all the major trophies in a specific season, is the 2010 prize that was given to Lionel Messi instead of either Andres Iniesta or Xavi Hernandez who won the World Cup that year. The rest of the wards have always gone to either a Champions League or a World Cup winner usually. But the FIFA The Best podium is a bit alarming for French people, because there wasn’t a single player from Les Bleus featuring in the list of nominees.⏱ 35’ | 0-0 | A disputed first 35 minutes in Balaídos. Let’s go boys! ?#AúpaAtleti #CeltaAtleti pic.twitter.com/V3KgWMrZYB— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) September 1, 2018Nobody doubts that there is a large number of French football players who deserve to be in any of the lists of nominees for both the UEFA and the FIFA awards, it’s hard to understand the reason behind their snub but the voters have made their decision and it needs to be respected. However, things are going to be very different for the Ballon d’Or because of a large number of reasons. For starters, the award is given by French prominent magazine called ‘France Football’. This publication has always favored French players when they really deserve to win the award, they gave it to Zidane back in 1998 when France won the FIFA World Cup and they have to give to a French player this time. Besides Griezmann there could be a surprise winner in Kylian Mbappé, who may not have won as many major trophies as the Atletico forward but is the better footballer from the two. France Football could surprise everyone and give the award to the player who will most likely dominate football for the next decade.no words necessary. pic.twitter.com/f7eKCCoAA5— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) September 3, 2018But for now, the top favorite to take the award is the Atletico Madrid player, who last season was the UEFA Europa League’s best player and won the competition by scoring in the final for the Colchoneros. But the best came for him during the summer as he was the leader of France during the World Cup, a tournament in which they defeated Croatia in the final with a goal scored by Griezmann from the spot and a couple more scored by Paul Pogba and Mbappé himself. But Antoine is without question the player who has made the most merits to get the recognition, an award that would be shared between all the players of this fantastic French generation that is very young still and has a lot more trophies to win without question. But Griezmann is not as young as he once was, he may not be a part of all those success stories and this could be his last chance to win the award.Gerard Pique, Neymar, BarcelonaLa Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…Antoine Griezmann est à la Une de L’Équipe en ce mercredi 5 septembre.Téléchargez votre journal : https://t.co/qSnU2voSkb pic.twitter.com/jxqiS9alF8— L’ÉQUIPE (@lequipe) September 4, 2018In the past during his career, there was another year in which he deserved to at least be part of the final list of nominees for the Ballon d’Or award back in 2016. During that season, Antoine Griezmann was Atletico Madrid’s main player all the way through the final they played against Real Madrid but he failed to deliver in the most important moment by missing a key penalty. Then later that year during the summer, he was France’s best player and reached the final but lost it against Portugal. In that year’s contest for the award, there was no doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo deserved the honors but Griezmann thinks this year will be very different. “I compare this year to 2016 and for me, this is a year in which I have to be amongst the final three at least. I lost the 2016 award because I lost two finals and I was still amongst the final three nominees. This year I won the three finals I played. So normally, I think about it because I am very close to winning it this year,” said Griezmann to L’Equipe.? The team has already put the third kit on ??Compra online: ➡ https://t.co/yPWAnq29FTMore info: ➡ https://t.co/xMvhOAAlaB pic.twitter.com/kyOtfGmHHd— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) September 4, 2018Do you think Antoine Griemannn deserves to win the Ballon d’Or this year? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.last_img read more