Share Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 51 Views no discussions Court gavel. Photo credit: lazytechguys.comDwayne Telemaque of Belles was on Thursday granted $9,500.00 bail by Chief Magistrate Evelina Baptiste on three charges two of which were related to battery and wounding.According to complaints filed by Constable James E of the Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force, the Defendant Dwayne Telemaque committed three offenses on January 18th, 2012 at River Bank in Roseau.Telemaque pleaded not guilty to all three charges; wounding Tamisha Benjamin, battery of Tamisha Benjamin and theft of 1 memory card valued at $80.00Fagan Bannis, a farmer and trucker of Castle Bruce, who has a work relationship with the Defendant’s parents stood as his surety. He was asked by attorney representing the Defendant, Laurina Vidal-Telemaque whether he understood his duties as a surety and that he thinks the Defendant will listen to him.Chief Magistrate Baptiste again asked Bannis whether he understood his role as a surety and he said yes.She also asked him whether he understood that he is responsible for ensuring that the Defendant attends Court, whether he had sufficient control over him, whether he knows where he hangs out and his contact number.Bannis answered all questions positively and was declared a suitable surety for the Defendant.Police Prosecutor Inspector Claude Weekes requested of the Court that the Defendant’s bail conditions include; reporting once weekly at the nearest police station and that he does not interfere with the complainant or any of the prosecution’s witnesses.Magistrate Baptiste told the Defendant; “Bail is granted to you in the sum of $9,500.00 with Fagan Bannis as surety. You are to report at the St. Joseph Police Station every Wednesday between the hours of 7am and 7pm. You should not interfere with Tamisha Benjamin or commit any other offenses while on bail.”She warned Telemaque that if he failed to report at the St. Joseph Police Station, interfere with Ms. Benjamin or committed any other offense his bail would be revoked and his surety made to pay the sum of $9,500.00.The trial has been scheduled to commence on 9th June, 2012.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews Magistrate grants $9,500 bail for battery and wounding charges by: – January 20, 2012 Share
“It’s a huge stretch to suggest an implied conflict of interest,” Kennard said. She emphasized that talks with URS about a board appointment did not begin until after she resigned as Los Angeles World Airports’ executive director in late January. Kennard served two stints as LAWA’s executive director: from August 1999 to November 2003; and again from October 2005 through January. Kennard said the international company was careful to keep a “firewall” between her and any jobs it was doing in Los Angeles. She said the multibillion-dollar company, with 30,000 employees around the world, hired an outside counsel who reviewed the issue and concluded there was no conflict. Kennard said once the decision was made to drop out of the contract, there was no point in disclosing to the city the private decision-making information about her board appointment. Kennard was awarded the city consulting contract March5, and she had been paid about $53,000 with an additional $9,000 pending when she suspended it July31, according to LAWA records. She gave up the consulting contract July31, one day before being appointed to the URS board. In a July 31 letter announcing her decision to airport executives, Kennard said she was suspending her contract with LAWA “in an abundance of caution.” “Even though there is no apparent legal conflict with dual roles; I would never want there to be any perception of a conflict of interest in either role,” Kennard wrote. In the letter, she said she had sought advice from the city’s Ethics Commission and URS attorneys. The incident is the latest involving URS, which at one time was a primary contractor overseeing the LAX Master Plan with contracts worth at least $22.4million. URS no longer is involved in that contract. In late 2003, URS was at the center of controversy amid possible “pay to play” allegations when the District Attorney’s Office opened an inquiry into possible wrongdoing by Airport Commission members, including President Ted Stein, in the awarding of contracts for then-Mayor James Hahn’s $9.1billion LAX modernization. The inquiry arose after a Los Angeles Business Journal report that claimed Stein sought political contributions from contractors, in one case tying the contract to a contribution to Hahn’s campaign against San Fernando Valley secession efforts. Stein ultimately stepped down from the commission, denying any wrongdoing. While the District Attorney’s Office conducted a preliminary inquiry, no charges were ever brought. Kennard said that despite believing there was no conflict of interest, URS decided to drop the LAX project to avoid any potential negative publicity. “They don’t like their names in the paper in a negative way,” she said. “This is so ironic. The discussion was whether or not they should continue to fight the matter, and it wasn’t worth (it) to their reputation over not a lot of money. “It’s not worth the aggravation.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Kennard said nothing improper was done and that the conflict-of-interest questions raised by the City Attorney’s Office were disputed by the company. A URS spokesman said the company withdrew as a subcontractor on the LAX project “at the request of the primary contractor,” but he insisted there was no conflict. “URS continues to believe there is absolutely no conflict of interest, that the law supports our view and the company has complied with all applicable statutes and guidelines.” The spokesman said the company is continuing to pursue a number of other contracts in the region, including a Palmdale airport project. The LA/Palmdale Regional Airport is run by Los Angeles World Airports, which also operates LAX. Kennard said she became a consultant for the city in early March and as such no longer was a public official. She also said she was not involved in any discussions about URS contracts or bidding. A San Francisco company bidding for work on a planned LAX parking facility has withdrawn amid questions of a potential conflict of interest between the firm and former airports Executive Director Lydia Kennard, the Daily News has learned. Kennard was still a city consultant to Los Angeles International Airport when URS Corp. was talking with her about joining its board – which she did one day after leaving LAX. Rather than answer questions about that relationship, the global engineering design firm pulled its bid as a subcontractor. “Questions were raised about a potential conflict of interest, and URS was asked to provide information on their dealings with Ms. Kennard. They chose to walk rather than resolve those questions,” a city official said. Sources said officials questioned whether Kennard – as a city consultant working on airport business – was in a position to enrich the company as a member of its board of directors. Kennard was a city airports consultant from early March to July31. On Aug.1, she was appointed to the board of URS.