Did You Know?

first_imgA recent Indianapolis Star article listed past runner-ups to Mr. Basketball in Indiana.  In 1997 Batesville’s Michael Menser was the runner-up to Luke Recker of DeKalb hHgh School.  Recker went on to play at 3 different universities including Iowa.  Michael Menser starred at Indiana State.  Menser led the Sycamores to 2 NCAA appearances.Michael coached and taught in the Terre Haute area for several years, and he is now an administrator in the Plainfield School system.  He works alongside Melvin Siefert who is the principal at Plainfield.Not listed in this article, but another Batesville High School graduate who was also an Indiana High School All-Star runner-up, was Cindy Lamping in 1991.  Cindy went on to star at Purdue University and helped lead the Boilermakers to an NCAA runner-up title in basketball.last_img read more

Ijaw youths cry for justice over slain footballer

first_imgMembers of the Ijaw Youth Council, Lagos State Chapter have called on the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to order the re-arrest of a murder suspect, Olugbenga James, who was reportedly discharged by a Lagos State Magistrate Court through what was alleged to be a conspiracy between some police officers at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti and the judiciary.Addressing newsmen in Lagos on Saturday at a rally by the Ijaw youths who were protesting the illegal discharge of James by Magistrate Court 1, Sabo, Yaba on May 5, 2020, the IYC Chairman, Comrade Henry Oyobolo, said the alleged suspect, who is the Chairman, Landlords Association at Victory Estate, Iba, Lagos, reportedly shot 23-year-old Steven Duobra Legbe, a popular footballer of Ijaw extraction in the area, at night on April 18, 2020. The IYC chieftain, who was at the event with the deceased father, Benson Legbe; their family lawyer, Paul Kurekure; eyewitnesses at the scene of the incident; and many others, gave a narration of the incident and wondered why the young man, who was already getting set to travel to Europe to pursue a career in football, could be murdered gruesomely without a reasonable cause.The IYC Chairman, speaking on behalf of the family, said Legbe had gone out in the night of April 18 within the Victory Estate when he was accosted by James and some other residents who reportedly were on vigilante activities.According to them, Steven Legbe was well known in the Estate as he was said to have friendly personality and outspoken disposition.For some reasons yet to be fully established, James was said to have threatened Legbe on that same night, vowing to kill him.According to two eyewitnesses who attended the rally, the threat had come as a surprise since there was no known misunderstanding between the Chairman and the young footballer. The only incident, they would remember, was what they called a mild challenge during which Legbe in his usual outspokenness was said to have asked James why he should convert some stimulus packages donated to residents of the area to cushion the lockdown occasioned by COVID-19 to his own instead of sharing to others.James, who was said to be a “terror” to most residents of the area as he often paraded himself as a former military officer, while threatening Legbe few hours before he was eventually shot to death, had boasted that he would kill the footballer and nothing would happen.At about 4am, same April 18, 2020, James was said to have gotten hold of the young man during vigilante activities and hit Legbe’s head with a helmet.As the footballer forcefully extricated himself from the clutches of James and made effort to walk away, the terror looking Landlords Chairman reportedly snatched a gun from one of the vigilante men and shot Legbe in the chest.Sequel to the pandemonium generated by the sudden shooting of the footballer, the Chairman was said to have quickly taken the body in a vehicle to an undisclosed place, thereby making it difficult for the family to have easy access to him. According to the IYC spokesman, when he was alerted and he eventually arrived the scene, angry youths of the area were in tensed mood to attack James’ residence but for the quick intervention of the Commander in charge of Area E Command, FESTAC, who assured the footballer’s father that the young man was receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.Little did the family know it was all a ploy to allow tempers calm down when the Commander knew that he was already dead.Father of the deceased was eventually made to see the suspect in police custody about three days after the incident, during which the police told him that his son’s corpse was in the mortuary.The incident, which was initially being handled by the Iba Police Division under Area E Command, was transferred to the SCID, where one Yemi, a police officer, was assigned the job of Investigating Police Officer.RelatedPosts Buhari will not abandon Ijaw Youths – Boroh Ijaw youths make case for special funding for Otuoke varsity Ijaw youths urge IGP to prosecute abductors of Ese Oruru Joining the IYC Chairman to explain further, Kurekure said sequel to the arrest of James and Isiaka Oluwaseun in connection with the killing and their subsequent transfer to the SCID for further investigation and prosecution, a remand application with a two count charge was filed at Magistrate Court 1, Sabo, Yaba, Lagos on May 4, 2020.Count one bordered on conspiracy to commit murder and felony, while count two centred on the actual murder of Steven Doubra Legbe on the night of April 18, 2020.According to the lawyer, when the case came up for hearing on May 5, 2020 at the Magistrate Court in Sabo, after reading the charges to the suspects, they told the court that they understood the charges.The Magistrate in turn called the IPO in charge of the case, Superintendent Yemi, to tell the court what happened in the case and outcome of police investigation.To the utter surprise of everyone in court, including three persons who witnessed the killing and were ready to testify, the IPO reportedly gave an unprofessional evidence in favour of James by stating categorically that police investigation revealed that Oluwaseun shot and killed Legbe and not James.Kurekure, who has already filed a petition to the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone 2 seeking justice for his client, posited that not only was the IPO’s comment surprising, but also the disappearance from the case file of statements made by three eyewitnesses, which emphatically stated that it was James who shot and killed Steven Legbe.He contended further that no exhibit (gun) was brought to court neither was there coroner report in the case file presented to the Magistrate, just as the confessional statements made earlier by the two suspects were not found in the file.In his words, the case file was evidently empty.Based on the foregoing alleged misleading information and concealed evidence by the IPO, the Magistrate was said to have erroneously discharged James, but ordered that Oluwaseun be remanded in prison custody pending the outcome of the legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecution, Lagos.In the light of this alleged unprofessional handling of the case, the Ijaw Youth Council on behalf of the Legbe family has called on the Inspector General of Police to order for the immediate arrest of James, the IPO and all others who in one way or the other tried to derail the course of justice in this matter.He said that justice must not only be done but seen to have been done “as the people of Ijaw could not be taken for granted because of our peace loving  nature.”Efforts to reach James on his telephone lines with a view to hearing from him after the press conference were futile as both numbers have been switched off.Tags: Henry Oyoboloijaw youthsOlugbenga Jameslast_img read more