Confirmation of heavy prison sentences against two arrested journalists

first_img to go further Receive email alerts June 5, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Confirmation of heavy prison sentences against two arrested journalists CubaAmericas Organisation New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council October 12, 2018 Find out more May 6, 2020 Find out more RSF_en News News Help by sharing this information center_img Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet Follow the news on Cuba Reporters Without Borders deplored the Cuban supreme court’s confirmation of sentences imposed on two of the 26 independent journalists arrested at the end of March and since jailed for lengthy terms. The court upheld on 3 June a sentence of 26 years on Miguel Galván Gutiérrez (photo) and 16 years on José Ubaldo Izquierdo Hernández.”We greatly regret that the Cuban government refuses to listen to international protests calling for the release of the 26 journalists and the 50 other dissidents arrested at the same time”, said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.”We fear now that the sentences against the other imprisoned journalists will be confirmed too. The government is going down an increasingly repressive blind alley as shown by the heavy sentences, of up to 28 years in prison for simple offences of opinion.”Ménard also denounced new restrictions on the jailed journalists’ families, most of whom are only being allowed to visit them once every three months instead of every three weeks as the rules state. This is in addition to their transfer to prisons hundreds of kilometres from their homes, making visits difficult and expensive. The Internet website cubanet.org reported on 21 May that the wife of journalist Pedro Argüelles Morán was only told after she arrived to see him at the prison in Santa Clara (west-central Cuba) that he had been sent to another, in Combinado del Este (Havana), another 270 kms away from his home in Morón. The Russian news agency Prima News reported on 3 June that journalist Adolfo Fernández Sainz and several other jailed dissidents had begun a hunger-strike to demand their right to see their families more often. The conditions of detention of several of the journalists are very bad and at least five are reportedly ill. Reporters Without Borders said it was especially worried about Oscar Espinosa Chepe (photo), who has serious liver problems and internal bleeding, and called for his transfer to hospital in Havana. On 31 May, after strong international protests, he was taken from the prison in Guantanamo to a hospital in Santiago.His wife Miriam Leiva said this was a “farce” because health care at the hospital was no better than at the prison, where officials had not even given him the medicine she had brought for him. She called for his transfer to a Havana hospital. The appeal against his 20-year sentence was heard on 4 June and judgment was reserved.Last month, a dozen independent journalists who decided to continue their activities despite the crackdown were threatened with heavy prison sentences by security officials if they persisted. Reporters Without Borders deplored the Cuban supreme court’s confirmation of sentences imposed on two of the 26 independent journalists arrested at the end of March and since jailed for lengthy terms. News October 15, 2020 Find out more See full details of the imprisoned Cuban journalists in our section “Cuba: the world’s biggest prison for journalists CubaAmericas RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago Newslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *