The explosion critically wounded one of the policemen.Elsewhere in Egypt, a police officer was killed and three were wounded in the North Sinai town of El-Arish when a roadside bomb exploded as they drove past in an armored vehicle, the interior ministry said in a statement.The north of the peninsula, where security forces are fighting an Islamist insurgency, is a bastion of the Egyptian affiliate of the jihadist ISIS group.The insurgency has swelled since the army’s ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.Militants loyal to ISIS have killed hundreds of Egyptian soldiers and policemen, mostly in North Sinai.A government crackdown targeting Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood movement since 2013 has left hundreds dead and thousands jailed.Hundreds more, including Morsi himself, have been sentenced to death, often in mass trials. Many have appealed and won retrials, while seven have so far been executed by hanging. Four people including two Egyptian policemen were wounded when a bomb they were trying to defuse exploded in Cairo near the pyramids Friday, while an officer died in an attack in Sinai, officials said.Two policemen and two hotel security guards were wounded in the blast outside the Meridien hotel near the Giza pyramids, a security official said.
16 Views no discussions Tweet Sharing is caring! Share HealthLifestyle Haiti cholera similar to South Asian strain, says UN by: – May 6, 2011 Before this epidemic, cholera had not been present in Haiti for nearly a 100 years, the UN report saysThe cholera strain that has claimed more than 4,500 lives in Haiti closely resembles strains currently circulating in South Asia, a UN report has found.The investigation followed accusations that UN peacekeepers from Nepal had introduced the disease into Haiti, prompting violent anti-UN riots.The accusations had been denied by UN and Nepalese officials. The UN said the report did “not present any conclusive scientific evidence” of a link to the peacekeepers.The panel said a “confluence of circumstances” were involved in the outbreak. The epidemic, which started 10 months after Haiti’s devastating earthquake in January 2010, has sickened almost 300,000 people, the report says.Antibiotics callUN investigators say the epidemic was caused by bacteria introduced to Haiti as a result of “human activity”, pointing specifically to the contamination of the Meye tributary system, near the Mirebalais camp housing Nepalese peacekeepers.The UN had previously described reports that human faecal waste from the camp had caused the outbreak by leaking into river systems as “rumours”, saying sanitary conditions for Nepalese peacekeepers were adequate.The panel now finds that sanitary conditions at the base, “were not sufficient to prevent contamination” of the river system.However, Michel Bonnardeaux, a spokesman for the UN peacekeeping department, told Reuters news agency the report “does not present any conclusive scientific evidence linking the outbreak to the Minustah peacekeepers or the Mirebalais camp”.He added: “Anyone carrying the relevant strain of the disease in the area could have introduced the bacteria into the river.”The panel experts called for UN peacekeepers travelling from cholera-endemic countries to be screened for the disease and to receive prophylactic antibiotics before their departure.The investigators also recommended UN installations worldwide treat faecal waste using on-site systems to “inactivate pathogens before disposal”.The panel concludes the epidemic “was not the fault of, or deliberate action of, a group or individual”.They say the Artibonite river’s canal system and delta “provide optimal environmental conditions for the rapid proliferation” of cholera.Experts point to deficiencies in the healthcare, water and sanitation systems in Haiti, saying without these factors “environmental contamination with faeces could not have been the source of such an outbreak”.Further, Haitians lack immunity to the disease which has been absent from the country for nearly a century, they say.The results come as medical aid groups in the country raise concerns of a new surge of the disease as the spring rainy season begins.BBC News Share Share
41 Views no discussions Share Share Tweet Food & DiningLifestyle Chocolate Ice Cream Cake by: – September 10, 2011 Share Chocolate Ice Cream CakeThis layered chocolate cake is so high-standing and festive, no one will guess that it is low-fat. Chocolate cake mix is combined with yogurt to make the cake rich and creamy. The inside of the cake is layered with cherry-nut ice milk and chocolate ice milk, and the whole thing is frosted with a combination of whipped topping mix, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Make this dessert up to a day ahead and freeze it until you need it.Ingredients:Nonstick cooking spray1 package 2-layer-size regular chocolate cake mix1-1/3 cups water1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt4 egg whites1 quart cherry-nut ice milk, softened1 pint chocolate ice milk, softened1 1.3-ounce envelope whipped dessert topping mix1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder1/2 cup fat-free milk1 teaspoon vanillaUnsweetened cocoa powderDirections:1.Spray two 8×1-1/2-inch round baking pans with nonstick coating. Set aside.2.Prepare cake mix, using 1-1/3 cups water, yogurt, and egg whites instead of ingredients called for on the package, but otherwise follow package directions. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.3.Slice each cake in half horizontally making four layers. To assemble cake, place one layer on serving plate; spread with half of cherry-nut ice milk; top with second layer. Spread with chocolate ice milk; top with third layer. Spread with remaining cherry-nut ice milk; top with last layer. Cover and freeze for 1 hour.4.In a medium bowl combine dessert topping mix, cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened and of spreading consistency. Spread sides and top of cake with whipped topping mixture. Cover and freeze 4 to 24 hours or until firm.5.To serve, remove cake from freezer about 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle top lightly with cocoa powder. Cut into wedges using a wet knife. Makes 12 servings.Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens Sharing is caring!
Share Share Tweet NewsRegional Trial draws to close by: – February 17, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share 39 Views no discussions Caribbean 360 NewsBefore Buju took the stand yesterday, the court heard from two other Jamaican musicians, Stephen Marley and Gramps Morgan, who testified on their friend’s behalf.FLORIDA, United States, Thursday February 17, 2011 – Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton will today continue his testimony in his drug trial after more than four hours of intense grilling on the witness stand yesterday when he insisted that he was not a drug pusher.“I know it may look bad and it may sound bad, but I am not a drug dealer. Yes, I talked the talked, but I did not walk the walk,” Buju said.Since Monday, prosecutor James Preston has been trying to convince the jury that Buju, whose real name is Mark Myrie, is guilty of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine; attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine; possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking offence; and using a communication facility to facilitate a drug-trafficking offence.The prosecution called several witnesses, including US government informant Alexander Johnson, and played video and audio recordings of Buju discussing cocaine and tasting the drug.“I feel ashamed of seeing myself and hearing myself,” Buju told the court. But he kept insisting that it was not as it appeared.Under cross-examination by Preston, who pressed him about why he spoke about dealing drugs if it was not something he really did, the entertainer said he was only “talking crap” and that Johnson was being impressive with his talk and he was “trying to impress too”.“You never told him that you did not want to do a drug deal?” the prosecutor asked during his grilling, to which Buju replied: “I did not tell him I wanted to do one either.”The Gammy-winning singer said if he really wanted to do a deal with Johnson, he would not have put off meeting with the man for five months.As for the video of him tasting the cocaine in a warehouse, the singer said he had been tricked. He testified that he thought he was going to see a boat at the warehouse and if he had known the cocaine would have been brought into the picture he would not have gone. Buju said when he got there and realised Johnson was serious about dealing drugs, he feared for his life and tried to play it cool.“I saw my family, my children, everything that I have worked hard for in the past 21 years flash before my face,” he said.Before Buju took the stand yesterday, the court heard from two other Jamaican musicians, Stephen Marley and Gramps Morgan, who testified on their friend’s behalf. They said they trusted him and did not know of him being a drug dealer.Judge James Moody, who’s presiding over the case, is to rule on whether the charges of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking offence and using the wires to facilitate a drug trafficking offence should be dropped, following an application by defence attorney David Oscar Markus yesterday.Markus had asked that all the charges be dismissed because the prosecution did not present sufficient evidence to support them. The judge said he could not drop the conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine and attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine charges, but would consider Markus’ application on the other two.When Buju completes his testimony, closing arguments will be made by both the prosecution and defence before the jury begins deliberating on a verdict.Last time around, jurors failed to reach a unanimous verdict, prompting a mistrial to be declared.
32 Views no discussions Tweet Share NewsSports Newcomers WNT Young Veterans defeats Club Olympia by: – June 4, 2011 Share Sharing is caring! WNT Young Veterans. Photo credit: dominicavolleyball.comIn their first game of the 2011 season newcomers on Thursday 2nd June, the Waitukubuli National Trail Young Veterans, made light work of 2010 Second Division Champions, Club Olympia of St. Joseph in straight sets.The vets took an early 15 – 8 lead in the first set and never looked back to win the set at 25-14. They went on to take the second set 25 -19.Club One attempted a comeback in the third set leading by as many as 6 points. However, they could not hold on as the vets proved to be too much rallying to win the set 25-20.By: Robert Guiste,Dominica Volleyball Association Share
Tweet Tropical Storm Maria 5-day forecast track. NHC/NOAA graphicMIAMI, USA — At 5:00 pm EDT on Wednesday, the centre of Maria, the latest tropical storm to form in the Atlantic, was located about 1,205 miles east of the Leeward Islands and moving toward the west near 23 mph.According to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, this rapid motion is expected to continue during the next 24 hours with a gradual decrease in forward speed thereafter. Maximum sustained winds remain near 50 mph, with higher gusts. Little change in strength is forecast.An air force reconnaissance plane is scheduled to reach Maria late Thursday.Meanwhile, Hurricane Katia is located about 335 miles west-southwest of Bermuda and is forecast to pass between Bermuda and the east coast of the United States Wednesday night and Thursday, moving toward the northwest near 10 mph.A turn toward the north-northwest is expected Wednesdaynight, followed by a turn toward the north and then the north-northeast with an increase in forward speed late Thursday and early Friday.Maximum sustained winds are near 80 mph, with higher gusts. Katia is a category one hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane wind scale. Little change in strength is forecast during the next 48 hours. Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the centre and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles.Large swells generated by katia will continue to affect Bermuda and east-facing beaches of the Bahamas during the next few days. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.Tropical-storm-force winds, especially in gusts, are possible in Bermuda through Thursday. Katia is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 1 to 2 inches across Bermuda.A tropical storm watch remains in effect for Bermuda.Caribbean News Now Sharing is caring! Share NewsRegional New Tropical Storm Maria racing westward by: – September 8, 2011 Share Share 24 Views no discussions
Share Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 51 Views no discussions Court gavel. Photo credit: lazytechguys.comDwayne Telemaque of Belles was on Thursday granted $9,500.00 bail by Chief Magistrate Evelina Baptiste on three charges two of which were related to battery and wounding.According to complaints filed by Constable James E of the Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force, the Defendant Dwayne Telemaque committed three offenses on January 18th, 2012 at River Bank in Roseau.Telemaque pleaded not guilty to all three charges; wounding Tamisha Benjamin, battery of Tamisha Benjamin and theft of 1 memory card valued at $80.00Fagan Bannis, a farmer and trucker of Castle Bruce, who has a work relationship with the Defendant’s parents stood as his surety. He was asked by attorney representing the Defendant, Laurina Vidal-Telemaque whether he understood his duties as a surety and that he thinks the Defendant will listen to him.Chief Magistrate Baptiste again asked Bannis whether he understood his role as a surety and he said yes.She also asked him whether he understood that he is responsible for ensuring that the Defendant attends Court, whether he had sufficient control over him, whether he knows where he hangs out and his contact number.Bannis answered all questions positively and was declared a suitable surety for the Defendant.Police Prosecutor Inspector Claude Weekes requested of the Court that the Defendant’s bail conditions include; reporting once weekly at the nearest police station and that he does not interfere with the complainant or any of the prosecution’s witnesses.Magistrate Baptiste told the Defendant; “Bail is granted to you in the sum of $9,500.00 with Fagan Bannis as surety. You are to report at the St. Joseph Police Station every Wednesday between the hours of 7am and 7pm. You should not interfere with Tamisha Benjamin or commit any other offenses while on bail.”She warned Telemaque that if he failed to report at the St. Joseph Police Station, interfere with Ms. Benjamin or committed any other offense his bail would be revoked and his surety made to pay the sum of $9,500.00.The trial has been scheduled to commence on 9th June, 2012.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews Magistrate grants $9,500 bail for battery and wounding charges by: – January 20, 2012 Share
Earlier in the window, it was reported that Manchester United had made a £64 million bid for Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, with the Mirror among the sources to have reported that the transfer was a done deal. Koulibaly That hasn’t proved to be the case, but could the Red Devils get something over the line before 11pm on January 31?Advertisement Promoted Content7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A Vegan7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoSome Impressive And Almost Shocking Robots That ExistCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayLil Nas X’s Hit Song Is Becoming The Longest #1 Song Ever6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone Loading… Having missed out on Erling Haaland and Marco Mandzukic, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer needs a statement signing, and Koulibaly fits the bill. Read Also:Koulibaly set to make £64m switch Man Utd United’s defence was exposed in recent defeats by Manchester City, Liverpool and Burnley, and the Senegal international could be an ideal option to partner Harry Maguire in the heart of the defence. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
The Partenopei have been in talks with the struggling Ferrara outfit for a number of days over a deal for Petagna. Sky Sport Italia and Il Corriere dello Sport both report that a deal is close to being finalised between the clubs.Advertisement Napoli will pay €18m for Petagna, but will leave the striker on loan at SPAL as they struggle to stay in the top flight. The striker joined from Atalanta on loan in the summer of 2018, however SPAL made the deal permanent last summer. Read Also:Serie A: Struggling Napoli shock Sarri’s Juventus He scored 16 goals in Serie A for the struggling side last season, and had scored eight this season. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Top 10 TV Characters Meant To Be Iconic9 Talented Actors Who Are Only Associated With One RoleThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime9 Most Epic Movie Robots We’ve Ever Seen10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Playing Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body Napoli are closing in on a €18m deal for SPAL forward Andrea Petagna, but the 24-year-old will remain in Ferrara for the rest of the season. Loading…
Promoted ContentThere’s Only 1 Such A Coin In The World Left In Private HandsThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime7 Of The Most Incredible Antarctica Conspiracy TheoriesContemplate Life At These 10 Stargazing Locations10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Actors Who Had Ridiculous Reasons For Quitting A RoleInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time? Napoli great Diego Maradona would like to see Barcelona star Lionel Messi join his old club. Maradona was speaking to Argentine reporters before his side Gimnasia La Plata’s Argentina Cup game against Sportivo Barracas. “I would have liked to have faced Messi. He arrived at the San Paolo when it’s in decline,” Maradona said in the mixed zone.Advertisement Loading… “Messi has never lived what I experienced, but he can play safely in Naples. Read Also:Video: Napoli’s shot-stopper dribbles Messi during UCL clash as fans react “He couldn’t do what I did, let’s clarify, but I’d like the Neapolitans to have a Messi.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享